What is a Domain name?
A domain name is like an online address where people can find you. Registering a domain name is a pre-requirement to built a website. But by registering a domain, it doesn’t mean that your website is created, you have just purchased a domain.
Types of domain:
Top Level Domain (TLD) :
These top-level domains (TLD) also known as domain extensions and represent the highest level in the Domain Name System hierarchy.
Country code Top-level domain (ccTLD):
These domain extensions are basically used to represent the country based domains.
- .IN (India)
- .AU (Australia)
Generic Top-Level Domain (GTLD):
Generic TLDs that are best known,include .com, .net, .biz, .org and .info – these can be registered by anyone, anywhere in the world.
Internationalized country code top-level domain ( IDN ccTLD )
A top-level name with a specially encoded format that allows it to be displayed in a non-Latin character set (i.e. special characters).
Few essential tips before choosing a domain name:
- Choose a simple name
- use proper Domain extension (.in,.com), etc
- choose according to your business activity
- Choose a short name as it’s easy to remember shorter ones
- Don’t use a name which is similar to the already existing brand name.
- Pick a name which is memorable and can become a brand.
- Research well before selecting.
- Don’t choose in a hurry.
- Use keywords in the name which describe your business like if your business is of textile, your name can be xyztextile.com
- Avoid number and hyphens in the name.
- Choose one which is easy to spell and pronounce.
- Get a free name with web hosting.
- It’s always better to take “.com”
- If you have chosen buy it at the quickest else anyone takes it up.
If want to have a name which is already taken by someone, search the actual owner of that domain through “whois.com“ OR You can also take brokers to help by paying his fee.